hole in drain tailpipe - possible to repair?

Old 06-01-05, 05:14 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hole in drain tailpipe - possible to repair?

Bathroom siink was draining very slowly so I removed J-bend to unclog it. In the process, I somehow made a small hole (1/4 inch in diameter) in the tailpipe, about an inch beyond where it connects to the J-bend. Tailpipe is chrome metal - fairly substantial - not a cheapie. My question is whether there is a product that I could use to seal or close off the hole? Some sort of patch, maybe, or a sealant, or a sleeve to enclose the damaged area? Normally, I would just replace the damaged tailpipe, but in this case it may be a whole lot of work as the connection at the wall is hard to get to due to the way the vanity cabinet is constructed. For this reason, I would repair rather than replace if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 06-01-05, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you broke a hole into the pipe, it is rotting from the inside out so it is just the time to replace it. Yeah, you could wrap some duct tape around it and to may or may not stay water tight, but these are cheap to replace with plastic lines.

As you stated, the hardest part of the job is the cramped space. Total replace of the trap assembly will be the best and most permenant repair. Got a skinny co-worker or neighbor?

Good luck with your project and if you have more questions, ask away and someone will answer them.

Old 06-01-05, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If I read this right, the pipe you poked a hole in should have a nut on it before it goes into the wall. Its a "one arm" job with a pair of channel-locks. Unscrew the nut and pull the pipe out and replace it. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: