Copper Pipe Bender

Old 06-02-05, 08:07 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Copper Pipe Bender

Hi,
I bought a copper pipe bender - the spring type. I used the correct one for my half inch pipe and tried to bend it but the pipe snapped. Thinking I was being too heavy handed I tried again with the same consequence.

Any ideas what Im doing wrong?

Thanks

Old 06-02-05, 08:16 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Yes that spring only works on soft copper. The copper in a coil. Buy elbows for the hard copper.

ED

Old 06-02-05, 08:22 AM
T
I tried to use elbows but the elbow has a leak and its about 14" down under the floorboards (coming from the basement). Its also right beside a plastic waste pipe so awkward to apply heat.

Is there any other option to bend the pipe?

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Old 06-02-05, 09:35 AM
You can buy the same size copper in soft (coil). That way you can go back to an open joint, solder there, and run the soft copper the rest of the way. Good luck.

Old 06-02-05, 09:42 AM
T
Is soft copper strong enough to hold the pressure to a washing machine/sink etc?

Do they sell it in one of the big stores? Im also thinking perhaps I should have just used the plastic piping...in hindsight.

Old 06-02-05, 09:48 AM
Soft copper has all the pressure requirements you should ever need. Just make sure when you buy it, that you get the same OD copper. They also sell refrigeration copper in a roll that is a different size OD. (Outside diameter). Home centers carry it in assorted length coils depending on how much you need.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: