High Water Pressure

Old 06-02-05, 10:10 AM
awileydog
Visiting Guest
High Water Pressure

At our main, my pressure relief valve was dripping. So, I replaced the valve and installed a pressure guage. Sure enough, the new valve leaked and the pressure guage read 150psi. I then replaced the water regulator and did not alter the factory setting (50-60psi). Now, most of the time, the new pressure guage reads around 58 psi. But occasionally, it goes up to 130-140psi. The obvious question is, could the new regulator be bad, too? But the hardware store where I bought it says they have never seen a defective unit. Could anything else be going on?

Old 06-02-05, 05:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check the thermostat setting on the water heater, it may be to high. I recommend that you install an "Expansion Tank" on the cold water side of the water heater. Set the pressure on the expansion tank to the same setting as the PRV.

Old 06-02-05, 05:13 PM
awileydog
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply!! I don't think it's my water heater, but you may have answered my question, anyway. I live in the San Fernando Valley (near LA) and my copper piping is in the attic. In the last few weeks it has been getting pretty hot up there. This fits because the problem seems worse in the later afternoon. I will try insulating all the pipes up there and will look into an expansion tank. Anything else that I can do?

Old 06-02-05, 06:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As long as the PRV you installed has a bypass built in to let water back into the water supply when high pressure is encountered from thermal expansion, you have done everything you can with the current piping.

From there, you need a small expansion tank or you may want to look at the "Watt's Governor 80 Ballc*ck and Relief Valve"

www.wattsreg.com/pdf-files/brochures/F-RV.pdf

Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: