Freeze proof faucet question

Old 06-03-05, 05:32 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Freeze proof faucet question

On Tuesday I came home from work and my wife told me she got 3 sprinkler cans of water from our out side faucet. When she turn the faucet off after the third can of water she said the faucet made an ugly noise, (like metal rubbing against metal), and didnít feel right when she turned it off. It also wouldnít shut off completely. It would keep dripping. I turned the faucet on and off a few times and it just didnít feel right to me either. It felt like something was messed up in the faucet. This is a freeze proof faucet. Last night I took it apart to see if I could find anything wrong with it. Everything looked fine to me but I replaced the washer while I had it apart. A question I have is at the end of the valve stem, (toward the inside of the house), there is a cup shaped part with internal threads in it. This part also contains the washer. The threads in this part are what make the valve open and close when turning the handle. This part can slide along the axis of the stem by about 1/8Ē and can wobble around a little. Is this normal and is this the way these frost proof faucets are made? After putting in a new washer and putting everything back together if feels alright again. Iím debating on whether or not to just replace the whole faucet. I really donít trust the thing now. Any thoughts or suggestions? TIA for your help.

Old 06-03-05, 08:37 PM
Sounds like a Woodford frostproof hose faucet. The way you described the end of the stem was to a tee, it is made to loosely spin at the end.

You have fixed your faucet, the same I would on a repair for one.

I wouldn't bother replacing it.

Old 06-04-05, 05:27 AM
B
Thanks for the reply Dunbar. You hit the nail right on the head. It is a Woodford. I'm going to let it in for now and see if it gives me any more problems. Is a Woodford faucet a good faucet, or are there other brands that are better? I'd just like to know in case I ever have to replace one. Thanks again for the advice. Now on to the next job on the "Do List". Have a good one!

Old 06-04-05, 06:30 AM
Cando Man
Visiting Guest
Woodford is all I 'll use , had a homeowner supply there own once they where the cheap cheap ones , never again it cost them alot of $ in repairs that winter and me alot of Woodford in my book are user friendly and easy to repair. Just keep in mind if you can get to it in the basement make sure that when it comes through the sillplate to put a brace under it so that it pushes it up toword the floor , that way when you turn faucet off the excess water will drain out and not freeze. did I say all that so its understandable ? good luck and plumb on

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: