Drain vent valve

Old 06-03-05, 10:38 AM
1Geniere's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 112
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drain vent valve

Iím installing new cabinets and relocating my kitchen sink. I will lose access to the drain vent pipe that exits through the roof unless I drill through three studs. So I would like to use an air valve on the exit side of the trap. Iím looking at vent valve made by Studer. Is that a good choice and are there any negatives for using a valve rather than a roof vent. There are several other roof vents serving bathrooms and basement sinks so I have a total of 4 roof vents and plan to replace the one serving the kitchen with a valve.

Also, should the non-used roof vent be capped off above the roof?
Old 06-03-05, 10:47 AM
majakdragon's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: N.E. Arkansas
Posts: 7,475
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You will have to check with your local plumbing code office. Some allow Air Admittance Valves and some don't. Studer is a good brand. As far as capping off the old vent, are you sure it is not tied into anything else? If you remove the trap you will have to cap the arm that went to it. Good luck.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: