hole in slab

Old 06-04-05, 10:26 PM
latuszek
Visiting Guest
hole in slab

While starting to rip up the flooring in the finished part of my basement to redo it, I found this.

What is this and should I keep it accessible when I start redoing the basement?

Thanks for your help

Old 06-04-05, 10:27 PM
latuszek
Visiting Guest
Here is another closer shot, you can see what looks like some kind of valve.

Old 06-04-05, 11:37 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The square thing that seems to be visible in the second shot indicates to me that it could be an access to your sewer drain line. I would keep it accessible in case at some point in the future it is the point from which your drain may need to be snaked to clear it.

Old 06-04-05, 11:57 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree that it looks like the plug on a clean-out. If it is (I can't actually tell the size) it should be 3 or 4". If it is 1- 1/2 or 2" it may have been for a tub or shower drain and was never used, just plugged off. Normally the square hole was filled with sand to keep it clear when the concrete was poured and gave room to install the trap when setting the tub or shower. Good luck.
Please reply back when you find what it is. Its very interesting to me.

Old 06-05-05, 12:03 AM
latuszek
Visiting Guest
Most likely it was not for a tub or shower since there is a bathroom down there about 10 feet away from there. Also that wall you see in the picture is the front of the house nearest the street. So I am assuming it is for the main sewer line.

How important is it to keep an access panel to this? I was planning on putting a bedroom in this area.

Old 06-05-05, 08:27 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's very important to keep it accessible, if indeed it is an access to the main sewer line. I think it was important enough that whomever poured the concrete left the area open, and you should do the same. You can build in a trap door of some sort, whether the bedroom floor is going to be carpet, linoleum, tile or hardwood, and keep it virtually invisible until the time comes that you need to get to it. You will be very grateful when that time comes.

Old 11-18-05, 10:32 AM
FixerUpper22
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by captwally
You can build in a trap door of some sort, whether the bedroom floor is going to be carpet, linoleum, tile or hardwood, and keep it virtually invisible until the time comes that you need to get to it. You will be very grateful when that time comes.
What is the best way to build one of these trap doors for the basement cement floor? Also, how can you keep it accesible if you are going to be laying tile over the cement?

Old 11-18-05, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The pics have disappeared so I am going from memory. If the wood around the edges of the hole was removed, I would reinstall pressure trated 2 X 4's around the inside with Tapcon screws. Make the top edge low enough to be able to sit a piece of 3/4" plywood on top of them and be even with concrete floor level. Tile the floor and cut the tile around the edge of the board. Keep an extra piece of the tile. This way, if you ever have to pull the cover for the drain, you could just run a screw through the tile into the board to lift it. It would be almost invisible this way. Or, you could install a handle of some sort.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: