Insinkerator and baffle-T

Old 06-05-05, 09:26 AM
graham01
Visiting Guest
Insinkerator and baffle-T

My insinkerator is getting plugged up about once a month. The problem is always with the baffle-T into the drain from the second sink being blocked. Just standard veggie pieces etc., no nasty fibrous stuff goes down there to cause it to plug up.

I got fed up with this and replaced the baffle-T with a normal one. Not the best idea unless you really want crud fountains in your sink.

So the baffle is going back in, but does anyone have any ideas on fixing this?

Graham

Old 06-06-05, 07:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need to consistently run water with your disposal when using, try not to stuff so much product down the disposal at one time.

Once a month, take a huge tray of ice cubes and dump and grind them in the disposal to keep the disposal clean.

Old 06-06-05, 07:56 PM
graham01
Visiting Guest
We do run water constantly while disposing and for a little while after it's finished. Also use ice cubes and citrus peel regularly to keep it clean - this one still clogs up though. I'm wondering if the Brita faucet filter has reduced water flow enough to cause the problem.

The junk coming out of the plugged pipe is also not very finely ground - it's a Badger 5 disposer - wondering if something else would be any better.

Graham

Old 06-07-05, 03:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would say buildup in the piping leading from the disposal might be the culprit.

If that isn't it, what is the normal items you are grinding, and I don't think that filter would restrict flow to the degree of not enough flow.

Old 06-07-05, 07:58 PM
graham01
Visiting Guest
Well, I could take a check on that pipe periodically and see if any buidup is developing. It does have a slight downhill slope to the T. Any idea on how to fix that if that's the problem?

Usual stuff for the disposer is mainly veggie trimmings, orange and grapefruit skins, general meal leavings and rarely a small bone or two.

Thanks for the idea,

Graham

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: