Copper pipe leak in shower

Old 06-05-05, 01:17 PM
Airborne
Visiting Guest
Question Copper pipe leak in shower

Hello once again and yes I need adult guidance from the pros!!

Situation: This morning I heard a sound like water dripping in the shower drain. After investigating, I removed the pull shower knob and plate, and with the help of a flashlight I found an extremely small pin hole in one of the three pipes. As i stood in the shower it would be the pipe on the left.

Can you provide me with options, even if it means removing the tile to fix the situation correctly.

Many thanks in advance.

Archie

Old 06-05-05, 01:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Should be hot water pipe. But is it a small hole in the copper pipe for sure or a solder joint around there. If a hole can you just put a leak clamp around it???? If room can you solder the hole shut?????? Turn hot water off and drain the pipe then solder the pin hole. When you cant see it its hard to say just how to go.

ED

Old 06-05-05, 01:42 PM
Airborne
Visiting Guest
Copper pipe leak in shower

Hello Ed and thanks for the reply!

It is in the pipe and approximately 1/4 inch below where the pipe goes into what I would call a three-way, connecting all three pipes.

I really had no idea which way to go. I'm assuming a novice like myself can do soldering?

Ed, is there a specific type of solder I should be looking for?

Until I get to Home Depot for your recommended solder I have a material named "STRETCH & SEAL" a silicone sealing tape. Will that create a temporary fix for me until I can solder?

Thank you Ed.

ARchie

Old 06-05-05, 03:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Check with home depot they should have a small patch like clamp you can use there. Dont try and learn to solder on this job ,do it some place else.

ED

Old 06-08-05, 09:26 AM
Airborne
Visiting Guest
Shower leak

Ed, many thanks!!

As you suggested I went to the pros on this one and the job was completed yesterday without incident.

Again, DIY PROs came through for me and my family.

Thank you ED!!

Archie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: