Compression Nut vs. Compression Insert Question

Old 06-08-05, 06:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Smile Compression Nut vs. Compression Insert Question

I am not a plumber, so forgive me for my ignorance on the subject. My kitchen sink has no shutoff valves. It appears to be 1/2 copper pipe, o.d. i believe. The shutoff valves i bought have a fixed, screw on connector to the pipe, not a compression fitting. My question is, home depot had some adapters that go from the 1/2 or 3/8 pipe and give it a 1/2 male threaded end, to screw the shutoff valve onto. These adapters came with "inserts" instead of a compression ring. The inserts are these little tubular things that fit down in the pipe, but one end is flared out so it doesn't slide all the way down the pipe. the compression nut tightens around this.

My bottom line question is, what's the difference between these with the inserts and the ones with compression rings, and which ones should I be using?

Old 06-08-05, 10:26 AM
majakdragon's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: N.E. Arkansas
Posts: 7,475
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If I understand this correctly, the "inserts" are for soft plastic tubing. When the nut is tightened down, this insert prevents the tubing from collapsing and leaking.
I would think that if you have copper pipe, you should get the supply valve that is 1/2" compression on one end and 3/8" compression on the other end (for supply tubing). Try to explain what you have to a Salesperson at HD. Perhaps you will find one more knowledgeable this trip. Good luck.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: