Wax Ring Leaking...Again

Old 06-08-05, 09:32 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Wax Ring Leaking...Again

Mobile home toilet leaked a couple years ago, rotting the floor. Plumber came in and replaced the particle board junk with plywood floor.

Year ago the toilet was rocking side to side, breaking the seal and leaked again. We pulled the toilet, new wax ring then shimmed it up.

Well...it's rocking and leaking again.

Question: Hoping to stiffen up the floor, screw a quarter inch piece of plywood on top of existing floor, maybe sticking out 2 inches on each side of the toilet. Then a wax ring with flange and another ring on top of that. Will this seal properly with the toilet being a quarter inch higher than it is now?

My friend is almost 80 and doesn't care about a quarter inch bulge in the linoleum, just so it doesn't leak.

Thanks,

Baldwin

Old 06-10-05, 08:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Honestly?

Start from scratch, remove the complete floor, cut out the closet flange, install new 3/4" pressure treated plywood down and install a new flange with stainless steel screws into that treated wood. Then you can run new linoleum to the flange, or underneath it.

This will give you what the majority of America has in homes, closet flange ontop of the finished floor.

The add-on technique is a last resort, and it sounds like the repeated failures have become quite costly to the homeowner.

Old 06-10-05, 09:35 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Yup, that's what I told him. The toilet rocked and so did the floor, you'll have to replace the whole floor.

The carpenter/plumber/handyman replaced the whole floor the first time but it seems to be pretty thin to me, maybe half inch. Not counting the tub it's only 4 by 8 feet.

I'll tell him to get treated plywood this time.

Thanks,

Baldwin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: