Leaky shower faucet

Old 06-13-05, 09:09 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky shower faucet

I have a shower faucet that keeps leaking. I've had it fixed a few times. But, after less than a year, it begins leaking again. When I take the handle off, there is a long stem with a brass nut that looks to be about 3/4". But, I can't get a typical deep socket on it because the stem is so long. The home was built around 1967 and I think these fixtures are original. I'd replace them, but they are behind tile that I don't want to rip out. How would I get that nut off? What would cause the repeated leaking?

Old 06-15-05, 05:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need to invest under $10 for a 5 piece plumber socket set. It will have the socket needed for this stem and it is longer than the standard deep well socket.

After you have removed the stem (nut assembly you mentioned) look at the rubber washer on the end of it. This is where to start to look for the leak. Use a flashlight and look inside where the stem was. You are looking at the valve seat. It should be smooth and in one piece with no sharp edges, missing edges from breaking off, or broken in half or more pieces.

Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: