How to loosen PVC pipes with threads.

Old 06-15-05, 11:25 AM
pargirl
Visiting Guest
Question How to loosen PVC pipes with threads.

Okay, I have broken my trap door under my laundry room sink, and have been to home depot and got a crash course on how to replace some new parts. I cannot unscrew the pipe that I need to replace. Also, what do I cut the pipe with? Maybe silly questions, but I don't have a clue. Any help appreciated.

Old 06-15-05, 11:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can cut the PVC with a hacksaw or even a hand saw. You can then unscrew the PVC and use a coupling to put the pipe back together. You'll need glue and primer for this part. Good luck.

Old 06-15-05, 11:31 AM
pargirl
Visiting Guest
So, you cut first and then unscrew? Okay, that makes sense because I cannot budge that pipe. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Old 06-15-05, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is also possible that the person(s) who installed this setup glued the pipes and fittings together. I have seen this happen many times, where a small leak is "repaired" with PVC/ABS glue. You may need to hacksaw the whole setup out and start anew.

Old 06-15-05, 12:29 PM
pargirl
Visiting Guest
I have cut the pipe, but I cannot loosed the attachment to the bottom of the laundry tub. Any suggestions?

Old 06-15-05, 10:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's now down to a power struggle. Maybe you can put some sort of extention on the wrench you are using, for more leverage. As you are looking at the threaded end of the pipe, make sure you are turning it counter-clockwise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: