1 /14 pvc to 1 1/2 galvanized drain pipe connection

Old 06-16-05, 09:57 PM
cjvande
Visiting Guest
1 /14 pvc to 1 1/2 galvanized drain pipe connection

I recently purchased an older home and replaced the previously updated bathroom sink with a new pedestal sink. I connected the p-trap drain pipe to the existing plumbing identically the way it was before I started my project, but now water leaks back out of the wall pipe around the outside of the new pvc. The new PVC is 1 1/4 inch and the wall pipe is 1 1/2 inch (?) galvanized steel. The connection I made was simply slipping the smaller pvc pipe into the larger one. It seems obvious now that I need to use some type of adapter fitting and it amazes me that the old one didn't leak. The galvanized pipe looks like there is a nut threaded on to the end, but I haven't tried to remove it. How do I properly connect these pipes? Thanks for any help.

-Chris in Houston

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-05, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The fitting should be a Desanco. It reduces the 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" and has threads that should fit a slip-ring nut. Are you sure you put the neoprene gasket on the 1-1/4" pipe? This is what makes the seal. You should have a slip-nut, then a gasket then the end of the pipe that goes into the wall. Good luck and reply back with any further questions.
If the neoprene gasket does not seal, buy a rubber gasket. The galvanized may not accept the neoprene.

Old 06-17-05, 05:21 AM
cjvande
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I'll post back after I get to it tonight.