Sewer cleanout in basement floor

Old 06-18-05, 06:34 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sewer cleanout in basement floor

I have a sewer cleanout in my basement floor which is a few inches below the floor. ( is just basically a hole) Whenever we get a heavy rain, water comes up through the hole in the floor.
Can I fill the hole with gravel and then put a thin layer of mortar on top of the hole to seal it? That way, if I would ever need access I should be able to just chip away the layer of mortar.
Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 06-18-05, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think I got lost here. Is this "clean-out" a pipe coming up through the concrete that is just open? If there is a cap on it, is the water coming in around the pipe? If it is truly a clean-out and does not have a cap/cover on it, then sewer gases can come into your home. Methane gas and others are not good for your health. Not good for the nose either. If the water is coming in AROUND the pipe, you can seal it as you mentioned. If it is an un capped clean-out pipe, you need to cap it off first and then cover it with a layer of concrete or mortar. Good luck.
Reply back with any other questions or if I misunderstood your post.

Old 06-18-05, 04:06 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. Let me clarify:
This is a capped clean-out that is recessed in the basement floor. It is about 4 inches under the floor level. Apparently, the pipe was never extended above the basement floor. Now, when we get a fairly heavy rain, water comes in around the pipe, fills up the hole and then leaks into the basement.
I just didn't know if it is a good idea to fill the hole with gravel and then put a thin layer of mortar over the top. I don't think I can seal around the pipe enough to keep the water from leaking in and filling the hole.
How should this clean-out had been finished? Is this the way it would normally be done? i.e. a hole in the basement floor and can let in rain water?
Finally, if I would fill the hole with gravel and then mortar, how hard would it be to get to the clean-out if I ever have to?
thanks very much for the assistance.

Last edited by garyrt; 06-18-05 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-05, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The pipe with a fitting for a screwed cap should have come up to almost floor level and then a cover (usually brass) is over the cap and hole. Water should not be able to leak up into the basement as yours does. Perhaps you can find a piece of semi-flexible plastic and cut out a circle to fit the hole tightly and then silicone around the edges before you top it off with a thin layer of mortar. This would help seal and also cover the cap to allow access later, should you need it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: