Extend gas line --- help

Old 06-20-05, 08:55 AM
samac
Visiting Guest
Extend gas line --- help

Hi all, I am extending the current gas line from the heater to the kitchen for the new stove. I am using the black pipe. I connected the all the pipes together. At one end, I have a shut off valve. At the end, I have a gauge. I pumped air into the pipe via the gauge about 15 psi for leaking. My question is that when I pumped air into the pipe how long the pipe holds the 15 psi of air before the pressure is dropped (after a while)? I tried 15 psi and lost 2 psi in about 15 minutes.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

samac.

Old 06-20-05, 09:31 AM
plumerdan
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

first and really important--did anyone size up your gas line?this is critical because if your undersized,it could be dangerous..now for your leak,don't test through a valve.if you have the proper one it is only a 1/2 psi valve for gas.also never test through a fixture for the same reason.you'll blow the diaphram i n the control..by sizing i mean totle demand and size of all piping..hope this helped

Old 06-27-05, 08:38 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
All good advise on the prev post. If you do not have a leak it will hold a long time. Last one I did held 30 lbs waiting for the inspector for 2 weeks never moved at all. On a small piping project that is always true.

Old 06-28-05, 11:53 AM
samac
Visiting Guest
My pressure does not hold well. I lost about .1 psi in every half-hour. With this drop, it is difficult to use liquid soap mixed with water to detect the leak. Is there a better way to check for the leak?

I run 3/4 inch pipe all the way. At one end which will go to the stove, I reduce it down to 1/2 inch before the valve. At this end, I have a 1/2 inch cap with teflon tape. At the other end, (3/4 inch) I have a gauge (bought from Home Depot) also with teflon tape to check for the pressure.

Old 06-29-05, 03:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
just want to make sure but you used pipe dope (teflon paste)??

Old 07-01-05, 01:58 PM
plumerdan
Visiting Guest
i hope you'v e found your leak by now.if not you can buy regular gas leak detection liquid..if you can't find that i use mr bubble and it works fine..by the way check the fill valve on your gauge,can't tell you how many of those leak right out of the box....good luck

Old 07-08-05, 09:02 AM
samac
Visiting Guest
I found two leaks: one at the gauge and one at the plug. All fixed. 15 psi pressure held up for one day and decreased to 12 psi in about a week later. I think I am fine now.

Thanks all for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: