Help! Calcified/Rusted Pipes

Old 06-20-05, 11:48 AM
nswartley
Visiting Guest
Help! Calcified/Rusted Pipes

Hi,

I'm trying to remove my old faucet and replace it with a new one. I am also trying to replace the old shut off valves for the hot and cold water, but I can't get them off because the connections are too rusted/calcified and stuck on there. I can't turn the connection without the pipe turning in its place.

Is there any way that I can loosen the connection to be able to take them off? Here is a picture: http://forum.soundillusions.net/atta...achmentid=2267

Thanks!

Old 06-20-05, 12:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
nswartley, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Your link said I had to log in. You might try Photobucket for sending pics.
If you have the tubing above the valves removed, you will need two wrenches to remove the valves to keep the pipe from turning. Put a wrench on the pipe and pull towards you firmly, and another wrench on the valve and push away from you. This is IF the supply lines are coming up from the floor. If in the wall, you'll have to crawl into the cabinet a bit more to do this. Good luck.

Old 06-20-05, 12:20 PM
nswartley
Visiting Guest
Sorry...here's the picture: http://home.comcast.net/~nswartley/untitled.JPG

I've tried CLR, heat, and WD40 for a little while now...still no luck. Anything else? Or just give it more time?

edit~and yes I did remove the pipes running up above to the faucet...

Old 06-20-05, 03:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Let the fun begin...you need bigger wrenches with the larger on on the nipples coming out of the wall.

This can turn very bad real quick, so take you time.

What has me concerned for you is that you said you can turn the nipples holding these valves. ...Did I read that right... If so, might as well take them all the way out because you will have small leaks from now on. Install new galvanized nipples, with pipe dope, and have the new valves already in place as you crank everything down tight. If you haven't broken the seal on the nipples going into the wall, then forget what I said just above.

Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: