Basement bathroom?

Old 06-21-05, 12:10 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement bathroom?

I'd like to put a bathroom in my basement. I have floor drains in my basement floor. I have heard thatbecause I have floor drains, that means I don't need to dig a pit and have a pump and whatnot for the plumbing. I am skeptical to say the least. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks.

Old 06-21-05, 06:55 PM
Unless you have plumbing already roughed in, you are in for a treat.

Where do the floor drains go? To a pump OR do they tie into the building drain?

You only need a pit and pump if you can not let gravity work for you. Regardless, you will still have to put in the drains, vents, waterlines, and especially the "whatnots".

Let us know some specifics on your drains and someone can walk you through what you are looking at.

Good luck...

Old 06-22-05, 11:50 AM
K
The floor drains are actually capped off. I am not aware of any pump system on the premises.

There is no plumbing roughed in either.

I am planning on having a plumber do all of the...plumbing (and I'll do everything else myself). But, I'd just like to have some sense of what might be instore.

Thanks again.

Old 06-22-05, 03:08 PM
Basically, cutting of basement slab, breaking concrete, and very little trenching to tie into drains.

Venting can be problematic to do properly. Depending on which code your local jurisdiction use will have a profound impact on how easy or how hard it is to do this.

Water lines are placed in out of the way locations along ceiling.

I'd have the plumber give a bid for drain and venting, look at doing water lines yourself (if you can solder pipe - not really that hard after first couple or 3 joints) and you save a few bucks.

Good luck with your project...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: