outside faucet leaking

Old 06-22-05, 09:02 AM
Fuller
Visiting Guest
Smile outside faucet leaking

Hi,

My outside faucet is leaking. I shut off the water leading to the faucet from inside the house and it is still dripping. How do I fix this??

Old 06-22-05, 10:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Fuller, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
It is probably a washer in the faucet that has gone bad. These can be replaced by removing the packing nut (under the handle) and removing the whole stem. Is it a "frost-free" faucet? You can tell by looking where it comes into the house. It will have a long (8 to 14") pipe connected directly to the faucet end. These are not always able to be fixed so you may need to purchase a new one.
If you turned off a valve before the outside faucet, did you open the faucet after that? That will tell you if you can remove parts or the whole faucet without turning off the whole house water system to make repairs. Good luck.

Last edited by majakdragon; 06-23-05 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-22-05, 07:07 PM
isaacvs
Visiting Guest
If you are able to replace the stem, make sure your replacement is the same brand and length.

Old 06-23-05, 05:45 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stems for outside faucets are rarely available.It's not a complete impossibility but rare.Virtually all of them are imported and there is no standardization in stem sizes,designs etc plus repair/extra parts just were never produced by the factories all over the world that employ low cost labor to manufacture them.You might find a stem if it's a high end non imported item.That said unless it's older it's probably repairable and previous posts detail the procedures.Also that indication that the valve inside your house did not completely stop the water flow may mean that valve needs repair as well.The procedures would be simular.

Old 06-23-05, 10:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I guess I screwed up in my original post when I said remove the stem to fix the faucet. I FORGOT to mention that on the end of the stem there is a washer that probably needs replaced. Just a simple job but probably the cause of the drip. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

Old 06-27-05, 10:59 AM
dqualls
Visiting Guest
Smile

I got this at Lowe's for around $6 or $8.

Picture of "drip" fixer

The idea is to remove the stem and grind/smooth out the old and rusty mating surface so you can put a new washer in and have it seat.

Good luck!!!

dqualls

Old 06-28-05, 04:55 AM
Fuller
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for all of your replies. I will try to get this done this week. I'll let you know how I make out.
Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: