Hose won't fit my outside faucet! HELP?!

Old 06-26-05, 04:03 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hose won't fit my outside faucet! HELP?!

Well, I am completely boggled as of now. I have 2 outside faucets for my house and and Im currently forced to use only 1 because of the following. The faucet on the rear of the house is fine, the hose fits it perfectly as it should. But I noticed there is this 'metal 2 " thingy' screwed onto the faucet between the hose and the faucet which looks almost as if it functions as a pressure relief maybe when turned off? It leaks out water when I first turn on the faucet before pressure rises in the hose. Either way It's new to me which isnt new in itself

Next, the faucet on the side of the house seems to have been disturbed and it looks like maybe it used to once have that same unit on it, but half of it is missing and whats left is some humungous pipe size that no hose will screw on. I grabbed some channel locks and unscrewed this piece from the faucet so now it is just the faucet on that side, but unlucky enough the size of the faucet does not fit any hose. Better YET, I took this peice to lowes and home depot trying to find some adapter to go from big to standard hose threads and I have found nothing yet! Seems that this is 3/4" in size but the theads are much much finer than whats on the hose and anything I've found thus far?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I just want a darn hose hooked up!

Old 06-26-05, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It sounds like you encountered what was left of a backflow preventer ( mandatory in some States) so if you cannot remove the rest, you'll have to replace the whole faucet. In Florida, we had to use a set screw that was broken off after installation to insure that the backflow preventer was not removed. This is the best I can tell you. Good luck.

Old 06-26-05, 04:17 PM
Look at faucet adapters like a water bed fill kit would have. You will find sizes from 55/64ths to 13/16th's and 15/16th's. The threads will run from 27 to 29 per inch which is a very fine thread.

Now for the next question, it sounds like you are discribing a anti-siphon which is added to old stlye hose bibs, but why the faucet thread?

The old style anti-siphon screwed onto a hose bib and then there was a break-a-way set screw which locked it in place. You had to destroy the bib to remove this piece so it was easier to just replace the hose bib. You may want to just consider installing new hose bibs your self. Not a big deal and it has been discussed here many times.

Good luck with your project and if you have more questions, ask away and someone will answer you.

Old 06-26-05, 04:21 PM
D
Yeah I did get the anti-siphon totally off okay. Now I just have to find one somewhere that will fit. Doesnt look like lowes or home depot has this, or it is not listed as antisiphon?

Old 06-26-05, 06:47 PM
B
hose don't fit

could be a type of hydrant...your tap actually turns off inside the house (about 12 or 18 inches in..and the peice you described is for draining the hydrant back inside your homw where the frost wont get it...if you broke half this peice off...your only option will be to replace the whole hydrant

Old 06-26-05, 10:10 PM
D
Im not quite sure i understand the hydrant part as I keep picturing the hydrant out on the street that firemen hook their hoses too. This I'm pretty sure is a garden faucet on the side of my house. Nothing is broke either, it has pretty little threads ready to accept a mate - just not a hose unfortunately...

Old 06-27-05, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Some places call hose bibs a hydrant. The ones you see sticking out of the ground in some yards are called yard hydrants. I am still of the belief that you have 1/2 of a backflow preventer on your connection. They also have threads between the 1/2's that are not hose threads. Check to see if there is a small hole near the top of the threads you have. If so, it has a set screw that was broken off after installation. You may be able to drill it out or use a reverse drill bit that will grab it and unscrew it for you.

Old 06-27-05, 06:54 PM
B
hose dont fit

maybe i dont know what it is called...but ihave sticking through the wall at my house...a tap that is about 3/4 inch pipe going through the wall ..it is about 18 inches long...when you shut the tap off.it actually turns the water off 18 inches inside the house and the "big fat part" at the bottome of the tap where it turns off will now drain drain the water from the pipe even if the hose is connected...this prevents the tap from freezing.....hope i have explained this good enough that some one may know what i am calling a "hydrant"....one of mine broke where the drain part is and it had threads of some sort like what was posted above..that is why i posted my experience...maybe it was the same...and again maybe not..lol

Old 07-08-05, 11:15 AM
D
Maybe this will help, here are a couple pics... I gaurantee there is nothing left on this but bare threads... You can see there was some sort of sealent locking stuff on here from when I took the other part off. But I tell you, I can not find anything to screw onto these threads! ?

Faucet 1

Faucet 2

Old 07-08-05, 06:10 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, Do the hose bibs look the same except for the big end on one? If they do maybe there is a threaded sleeve on the end from an old application of some type. Put on some penetrating oil on it and let it set then try to unscrew the sleeve. I have run into that problem inside of homes but never on a hose bib.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 07-08-05, 06:23 PM
D
I have to say I am 99.9% positive there is nothing screwed on here at all. It is pure threads and I need to find something to screw onto it it seems

Old 07-08-05, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
You have what we refer to as a wall mounted frostproof faucet.
It looks as if someone forced on a wrong sized fitting and damaged the threads, or, it had an antisyphon with an odd thread.
Does it appear as if the threads are somewhat damaged.

Click image:

Image credit: hardwarestore.com

Old 07-08-05, 07:09 PM
D
No, the threads are just fine. Just an oddly large size. Yes I believe that an antisiphon was removed from this.

Any chance on finding a new antisiphon somwhere that will screw on this thread size.

Old 07-08-05, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I recall having seen something like that but I think it may have been on an older valve.
I think that even if you can find the mfr, it is doubtfull anyone will stock the piece.
A frost proof faucet is not that expensive and shouldn't be too difficult to replace as others have already said.

Old 07-11-05, 10:27 PM
sarie1013
Visiting Guest
Crazy outdoor faucet

Oh boy - this is bad news for me. I have the exact same problem - my faucet looks just like the one posted earlier (faucet 2). The nice fellow at my local home improvement store gave me the same diagnosis - that it is an anti-siphon faucet with a screw-on part removed. He also suggested that you can't purchase the little part on its own. (Why in the world would a manufacturer design a part like that???) I was *hoping* someone here would have an answer I like more!

I live in a townhouse and would need to convince my condo association to replace the faucet - if anyone comes up with an easier solution I sure would appreciate it, because with that prospect I don't see myself using the faucet at least for the rest of the summer.....

Thanks everyone.

Old 07-14-05, 09:23 PM
You can buy that part which is a backflow preventor.

That red stuff on picture 2 in the posting of the thread starter is thread lock/loctite. A product designed to keep something on almost permanently when it is applied. Not in the case as shown.

Those devices are about $15, you can get them at any plumbing supply house that deals with commercial type materials. Those are fine threads that only allow one type of preventor on the assembly.

It is a very valuable device that protects the backflow/backsiphonage of water that travels through that hose. i.e. venturi sprayer with pesticides.

Old 07-14-05, 09:34 PM
D
Awesome, have any links or part numbers?

Old 07-14-05, 11:08 PM
Halfway down.

http://www.wattsreg.com/scripts/baserun2/baserun.exe?_cfg=./db/wattsreg-products.cfg&_sn=wattsreg-products&_fil=alltrim(cat)%3d'Vacuum_Breakers'.and.alltrim(family)%3d'Backflow_Preventers_&_Accessories'&_tar=_view3

Copy and paste that into a new browser in order to get it to work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: