Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Crimp-Couplings like Ridgid ProPress with Viega fittings?

Old 06-29-05, 07:02 PM
chiefobrien
Visiting Guest

I saw this and am intrigued:
http://www.propresssystem.com/

I have a ton of piping to do in the joists of my house which are old and full of wires and dry wood. I am really afraid of burning my house down with a soldering torch. The crimper is very expensive (~$1500), but looks like it could make the job much easier, and I could probably sell it once I'm done. The big question is--has anybody used it? How well does it work?

Old 06-29-05, 09:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
chiefobrien, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You would need a "couple tons" of piping to justify this system. While it may be true that you could sell the tool after you are done, I think the cost of the couplings would be prohibitive. Why not go with PEX? Same theory, crimped fittings. Just over $100.00 for the tool. Cheaper clamps and fittings. I have nothing against Ridgid, in fact I work for their Parent company, but this is a Contractor system. Good luck.

Old 06-30-05, 12:57 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have no experience with this system, and I cannot say anything bad about Ridgid products. They are top notch.

So I cannot comment one way or the other on the system itself, though it does look quite impressive, but my question is what about service issues a few years down the road? Will these fittings be easily replaced and/or re-plumbed? If you have sold the installation tool how will you make repairs, etc...?

And let majakdragon's advice be taken to heart... WROT Copper fittings are dirt cheap when purchased by the box or bulk lot of 25 or 50. What do the fittings for this new system cost?

Old 06-30-05, 05:19 AM
Tool is heavy but a big time saver when doing new construction like restrooms in hotels / conventions areanas where there are hundreds of fittings within a small area.

Fitting cost's is prohibitive on small jobs. You really need to price the little guys and you'll see the price difference.

In a standard house repipe, you would not save that much time, there may be places you can not physically get the tool to the fitting, and the cost for just one job (even though you plan on selling it afterward) would be substancial.

I'd look at pex also if you were concerned about burning down the house.

Good luck with your project.... post back when you put the propress on E-bay!

Old 06-30-05, 08:13 PM
LOL, and they do show up on ebay too.

I talked to someone at the local plumbing supply house and they seem to think it works great in large buildings where time will be cut down considerably.

Once you crimp those you cannot spin the pipe from what I was told.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: