Sky High Water Bill

Old 06-30-05, 05:59 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sky High Water Bill

We just got our bi-monthly water/sewer bill- and it was 6 times as high as usual. We had the county come out and re-check the meter and check for leaks- there were none. In fact, our usage appeared to be back to it's normal rate. There is no evidence of an underground leak, or exterior leak of any kind. We have not filled a swimming pool or turned on our irrigation system, and our neighbors have not hooked their hoses up to our faucets to wash their cars. The only interior problem we had over the billing period was a toilet that was running periodically- (we would flush it, but it would not stop refilling untill we would jiggle it. We fixed that problem within 2-3 weeks. Is it possible for a toilet leak like this to increase our usage by 75,000 gallons in one month? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else we should check?? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 06-30-05, 09:45 AM
X
My 1.6 gallon toilet refills in 30 seconds, a rate of 3 gallons/minute. That's over 4000 gallons/day. So I can believe that a running toilet caused your big water bill. See if your water utility will give you a credit. The local utility here will give a one-time credit for excessive water use due to a running toilet.

Old 06-30-05, 06:54 PM
D
Thanks for the info- we do plan to present our proof of repair, and hope they will approve a credit for some of the bill.

Old 06-30-05, 08:07 PM
I had a toilet run for 3 weeks, the incoming pressure to the toilet was 22 pounds, the bill was $400 for that period of time.

Not at my home, at a rental property where the girl spent more time away than at the unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: