Bringing water to a pole barn?

Old 07-01-05, 10:11 AM
irish1
Visiting Guest
Question Bringing water to a pole barn?

My husband and I have just started work on the foundation for our new pole barn, which will sit about 70 feet from the house, down hill. We have a tremendous amount of ledge on our property (had to do lots of blasting to build the house), and I'm more than a little nervous about what that means, in terms of trying to get water and electric out to the new barn. THe excavator will be here next week to start TRYING to dig the trench. Has anybody else had trouble with this? We live in Connecticut, and the frost depth here is 42". What can we do when laying out the trench to help prevent (or, I should say, delay) the water supply from freezing? Should we lay gravel in the trench? What material should use for piping? I've heard of Heat Tape; will wrapping the pipes in it help at all? Of course we will use a frost-proof hydrant at the barn. Any information or suggestions on how best to handle this would be appreciated; my husband is a meticulous guy and wants to do a proper job on this.
Thanks!

Old 07-07-05, 05:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Have the contractor dig the ditch 48" to 52" deep, make sure the ditch is clean with a flate bottom.

Use either 3/4" copper or the best recommended piping in your area; no joints underground except at the bury hydrant.

Backfill with pipe sand or other compacting material that provides instant compaction for the ups and downs the piping will follow.

I am not fond of plastic piping, but if you use it, you better snake it from side to side of the ditch to allow for expansion contraction of the piping. A 2' wide ditch is in order to cover this problem with plastic piping.

The grillage should be a minimum 6" all the way around the piping before considering backfill of any type. I would overkill the grillage to protect rocks from damaging whatever piping you install.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: