Copper pipes to bathrooms

Old 07-02-05, 11:25 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Copper pipes to bathrooms

I have a question about the water supplies to my bathrooms that I think I already know the answer to, but I thought I'd throw it out here and see what turns up anyway.

I am currently remodeling my basement bathroom that is located directly below my two main bathrooms above on the second floor. The water supply for those two bathrooms is one each 3/4" copper tube (hot & cold) going up through the floor and then splitting off to 1/2" supplies to each shower/tub.

Problem is when someone is taking a shower in each at the same time the pressure drops considerably, and usually the hot has to be adjusted to compensate. Which means if one finishes before the other, the remaining person in the shower gets a hot water surprise, and sometimes a cold.

So, while I have access to the supply going up to the bathrooms I don't have access to either of the bathroom plunbing upstairs, without tearing into a wall.

Is there anything I can do to help this situation from below?

Thanks

Randy

Old 07-02-05, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The only way I can see to remedy the situation is with "anti-scald" shower valves. These balance the temperature and pressure so you don't get the hot/cold surprise. I have not heard of anything that would cure the problem otherwise. Good luck.

Old 07-02-05, 11:59 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
majakdragon,

If I was to gain access to one of the shower controls and I teed off from the main supply below and ran new separate pipes up to this shower, leaving the other shower with its own supply, would that solve the problem, or would it be no change.

Thanks

Randy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: