Washing machine supply line leaking

Old 07-03-05, 07:56 PM
zanzyanne
Visiting Guest
Washing machine supply line leaking

I have a bad leak in the fixture on top of the pipe that supplies water to my washing machine. The fixture looks like an outdoor spigot, with the same kind of fittings and handle. I think i can replace the spigot and stop the leak using a procedure i found on the web for replacing an outdoor spigot at HDTV website. The connections to the copper pipe don't seem to be welded, and i can take the fixture with me to the HD to match it up. Does this sound like it will work? The plumber wants over $200 to fix it, but the spigot and fitting are only about $15. I really just need a vote of confidence and some pro advice on pitfalls to look out for. Thanks!!

Old 07-03-05, 10:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Before you go to the trouble and expense of replacing the "spigot", I have a ideas first.

Is it leaking from the nut directly under the handle? If so, with the water turned on, tighten(turn clockwise) this nut. This is a packing nut, it allows the handle to turn, usually without leaking.

Is the water leaking from where the hose connects to the spigot? You can try tightening the hose connection and/or replacing the washer inside it.

Is it leaking from where the spigot connects to the supply pipe? If so check for a crack in the fitting where they screw together. This will normally be a female fitting that the spigot will screw into. You did not specify whether you have plastic or metal piping.

Check these out before running to the home center for something you may not need.

Reply back with any questions or the results of your search. All of the above are DIY jobs and if you need help, someone is here to help you.

Good luck with your projects

Old 07-04-05, 05:30 AM
zanzyanne
Visiting Guest
Question Location of leak

The water is dripping from the spout itself, even with the handle firmly in the off position. The whole thing from the copper pipe that comes out of the floor up is VERY old. The hot water supply line has had the spigot replaced recently it seems. I don't know if it makes any sense, but it seems to drip faster if you are running water elsewhere in the house!?

Old 07-04-05, 11:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It sounds like there is a bad stem washer. You can replace the washer for about 0.20 or the entire faucet for $4-$15. I would just replace the washer. The reason that the water drips more when using a different fixture is because the other fixture is relieveing the water pressure on the bad washer.

To replace the washer:
Turn off the supply valve to this fixture(may have to turn off whole house),
Open the valve that you are repairing to relieve pressure,
Loosen the nut that is just under the handle until it slides freely up and down,
Turn the handle like you were turning the water on further( may have to give a slight upward tug if the packing is holding it down),
The stem should come out. On the bottom you should see a black or red washer held on by a brass screw. Take this entire unit to the hardware store to get the same style/type washer.
Reverse process to reinstall the stem into the faucet.

The home centers sell combo packs that you will probably only use 1 washer from. If your anything like me, you will forget where you put the package the next time you need it and buy another one. The hardware store should be able to sell you just the washer you need. Less cost and clutter in my opinion.
Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: