Question for professional plumbers and steamfitters.

Old 07-10-05, 05:53 PM
jperras
Visiting Guest
Question for professional plumbers and steamfitters.

Sorry for the off topic post, but I could not have thought of a better place to ask this question as I'm sure there are many professionals in this trade on these forums. A union in my neighbourhood is looking to hire new apprentices for both plumbers and steamfitters. I do realize that both these trades are very similiar, and I am quite familiar with what each one does, and the differences between them. My question is this: If you were just starting out in the trade, which would you choose and why? Which do you think ultimately offers better job prospects down the line? Any replies are greatly appreciated in helping me decide what I should choose, whether they be biased or not.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 07-10-05, 06:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
jperras, What a unique question. May I add that you picked the perfect place to ask it. I have been where you are now. I served a 5 year apprenticeship with Local 50 Plumbers and Steamfitters Local 50 in Ohio. Some places have seperate Locals. As a combined Local I got to learn both trades for two years. After that we had to pick the direction we wanted to go. Then they pulled a fast one on us. We had to pass BOTH tests to graduate. I had decided to be a Steamfitter due to the amount of work in our area. We had 3 refineries in the area and lots of mechanical work. The Plumbers were doing mostly houses and little in the way of commercial work. This is what you have to look at in your area. Do you have a lot of Plumbing going on? Are there large industries that always need mechanical work done? As a Steamfitter I got to learn how to weld. This has helped me in many ways, even outside the trade. I was State certified in Ohio and Florida for pipe welding and even when I wasn't doing Steamfitter work, I found employment. Think these things over and check out your area. Reply back with any questions. Good luck.

Old 07-10-05, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I belonged to Local Union 392 Plumbers/Pipefitters in 2000.

At first, they didn't want to recognize my 4 year apprenticeship from KY since it wasn't union oriented. I didn't last long since a back injury caused by working for a union plumber put me down temporarily. Needless to say I was compensated for their mistake, which launched me into my self-employment doing what I love most, plumbing. The back problem is a hinderance though, believe me, the union will tell you that they are notorious for driving bad backs out of there.

But on a positive note, the union will definitely educate you, not only on the job experience, but the schooling is wonderful for someone wanting to pick up all the ins and outs of the business.

If you are good, you will mostly work local in your career. If you are there for a paycheck, then most likely you will have to travel to find employment at times. Health insurance is decent, along with paying into 2 pension funds that everyone needs down the line.

Expect politics, but that is in any job you work at. Protect your work atmosphere to keep from physical harm; I didn't and the result was being forced to drag a large drain cleaning machine that weighed over 300 pounds up and down rickety steps 3-5 times a day. This resulted in a injury that never got better, even when every day didn't consist of that work. They didn't want anything to do with me after that. I am probably still on the bench down there at the union hall.

There is a silver lining in everything that happens, I am glad the situation happened; I pick and choose my work, I work when needed, I protect my health in the workplace better than I ever have. Working for someone else you don't always have that choice.

Old 07-10-05, 07:43 PM
Union pipefitting seems to be a little slow now (in my area). Plumbers are hiring and seem to have a normal demand. I'd go with the plumbers because of the nature of the work and future demand. Pay ain't bad either on union scale or on your own.

If I had to do over again, I would sure as heck talked to the sprinkler fittings union...This is what I tell my kids...

Old 07-10-05, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
notuboo, Funny you should mention the Sprinklerfitters union. When i got out of high school I worked for them for 2 weeks. Liked to killed me. After I became a Steamfitter, I had a boss who had been a sprinklerfitter and he asked me why I didn't go with them. I told him that the main difference between Sprinklerfitters and Steamfitters was that Sprinklerfitters tools didn't have cords on them. he didn't find that funny. But it was true.

Old 07-10-05, 08:03 PM
I do work for a father/son business that does fire protection/sprinkler systems. The dad is a retired union sprinkler fitter and the son was and went out on his own with his dad's direction.

I have worked around these guys and their work is top notch. I did a job at the miller brewering company in trenton ohio and this one man band came in and put up I know at least 1000 feet of live line using Vitaulic fittings and the like. That piping I believe is ductile steel.....and this guy was swinging it around like it was nothing....and he wasn't a big guy either. He would come in and work 12 hours straight non-stop, I believe his motivation was fueled by the fact his ex-wife got a substantial amount of the earnings.

Old 07-11-05, 03:18 PM
plumerdan
Visiting Guest
i'm in local 393 and my experence has been that i get sent out to fitting jobs wheras fitters never get sent out to plumbing jobs...must be plumbers having to know the code ect?go with plumbing,but pay attention and learn all you can about other trades....god luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: