Replacing leaking ball valve

Old 07-11-05, 10:05 AM
justinbezanson
Visiting Guest
Replacing leaking ball valve

Hi,

I am new to plumbing and need to replace a ball valve that is rusty and leaking around the handle.

I have 2 ball valves at the start of my water system. One just after the pressure tank and just before a water filter and the second is after the water filter. The one I need to replace is the second valve after the water filter.

Diagram:
Pump----Pressure Tank----1st valve-----Water Filter------2nd valve----

I can shut off the water by closing the first valve. What materials and tools will I need to complete this project and could someone give me a brief 'how to' guide to get it done correctly.

Thanks,

Justin

Old 07-11-05, 10:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
justinbezanson, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Need a little more info here. Is the pipe plastic, copper, galvanized? Different methods for each material. Good luck.

Old 07-11-05, 10:55 AM
justinbezanson
Visiting Guest
Sorry about that,

The pipes are copper.

Any other info you need just ask.

I'll tell the full story in case it helps.

I woke up this morning and had no water. This had happened one other time. The other tim,e I shut off the pump and waited a couple of minutes and then turned it back on and I had water again. I was hoping nothing else would happen until the end of this week when I returned from a business trip (I am leaving tomorrow morning). Anyway so I tried turning off the pump and turning it back on again but it did not work this time.

So I called a plumber to fix the problem. He replaced the pressure gauge and we got water back. He told me I needed to replace the rusty,leaking valve very soon or it would cause the gauge to break again.

So this is where I am, I want to replace the valve myself.

Thanks again,

Old 07-11-05, 12:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have included a link that should give you everything you need to fix the leak. It is also animated in some sections to show you exactly what they are talking about. Good luck.

http://www.doityourself.com/baths/h2handlecopper.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: