Need help with vent pipe through roof

Old 07-15-05, 08:31 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with installing vent pipe through roof

I am about to complete the run of a 2" vent pipe (PVC) from my new basement bathroom to the roof and daylight.

I have a few questions, please.

1) Does the 2" pipe have to expand to 3" before penetrating the roof? Or, can I simply run 2" all the way through the roof? Seems to me I read somewhere that a vent stack must exit the roof one size larger...

2) Does anyone have a good description of how to install the roof boot so as to prevent leaks? I have a general idea what to do, but cannot seem to find a detailed set of instructions. I am sure I can figure it out, but it's always helpful to read through the steps first.

3) I have 2 90 degree bends in the vent well above the level of the fixtures (in the ceiling) as it took some doing to get the vent from the bathroom around the basement and to the roof. Please tell me I do not need cleanouts at these bends. That would make things very difficult.

thanks.

Old 07-15-05, 10:33 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, I finally got through to an inspector, and answered 2 of my own q's. So, for the benefit of anyone out there who may have an interest:

1) No, 2" is fine. The oversizing requirement applies to northern climates to prevent freezing of condensation during winter from restricting the vent. It is in the code, but not applicable to my area (VA, near DC).

3) No problem. Not a main drain line.

2) I am still interested in any pointers on this one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: