Basement shower drain vent

Old 07-15-05, 11:56 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement shower drain vent

How would a basement shower drain be vented, when it is buried in the ground?

What I mean is what would be the standard connections? Would you use a wye after the drain trap, with the other outlet connected to the vent line, or should the vent line tee into the shower drain stack just below the concrete?

I've seen lots of pictures of doing it on a second floor system, where there's easy access, but I can't find anything showing a basement system.

Thanks...Randy

Old 07-16-05, 01:10 PM
Turn a tee up in close proximity of the trap arm, usually turning up the vent in the wall that serves the shower itself. Then, tie into an existing vent on that same floor level or you will have to take it up above the highest set of fixtures in the home.

Old 07-17-05, 03:21 AM
R
Thanks Dunbar, but I think I need to give you more details of my situation in order to resolve my confusion.

I am remodeling my previously finished basement, which had a small, full bath...shower, sink and toilet. The shower was 32x32 with the sink at one end. I am removing the sink to enlarge the shower to a 32x60, one piece unit with a center drain.

The existing setup had a vent coming down from the upstaires bathroom, through a wall to the sink drain, and then through the slab where it ran over a couple feet and tied into the shower drain via a wye fitting. I am assuming that this vent served both the shower and the sink...I guess that would make the previous shower vent a wet vent??

I need to move the shower drain for the new shower and it just so happens that it will fall exactly over where the old sink drain line ran over to tie into the shower drain line at the wye. That part is convenient.

So I will remove the existing shower trap, cut the old sink drain and locate the new shower drain trap at that location, which leaves me with 1.) an open connection at the wye where the old shower drain trap was, and 2.) the need for a vent for the new shower drain.

Can I just connect the new vent line into that existing wye connection and reconnect to the vent line above as was done previously? I'm not sure what the wye fitting is connected to, but I suspect it connects to the main line somewhere further where I haven't excavated yet.

I hope this all makes sense. I've included some photos to help.

Thanks for the help...Randy

The whole pic
Shower & sink drains
Wye connections
Vent connection
Old sink drain

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: