Hang cabinets without hitting water/gas lines?

Old 07-17-05, 08:14 AM
Picomed
Visiting Guest
Question Hang cabinets without hitting water/gas lines?

I need advice, please. I'm redoing 2 bathrooms in 35-yr-old house. Want to hang cabinets over sink/vanity area and to each side of vanity. In bathroom number one I have a pocket door inside the left vanity wall, no idea where the water pipes run on the center vanity wall, and the right side vanity wall backs up to an enclosed shower, so I don't know where the pipes are there either. In the second bathroom I "think" I'm okay for the wall to the left of the vanity, no idea how the water and/or gas pipes may run behind the center wall of the vanity, and the wall on the right side of the vanity has a small gas heater on the toilet side of that wall. I have not been able to locate any wall studs on any of these walls. I sure don't want to puncture a water line, or heaven forbid, a gas line. How does one figure out what all is hiding behind the wall and where?
Also, even though it's not a "plumbing" issue, the existing wood cabinets have been painted over several times and even with scratching the paint away from the hinge screws, I can't get the screws out in order to take the paint off the hinges. Don't dare put flammable "goop" on them because of the gas wall heaters, plus right now there's no good way to well ventilate the rooms.
Any advice on how I can safely proceed would be very much appreciated.

Old 07-20-05, 09:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Only way to figure this out is to pattern where the cabinets are, then cut the drywall out 2" inwards all the way around square that way you can see the inside of wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: