water flow reduced

Old 07-20-05, 01:40 PM
alger
Visiting Guest
water flow reduced

have 70 year old house. part copper piping, part galvanized. Had noticed some reduced flow to the kitchen sink, but was still adequate. Had a leaky toilet in back of house and needed to change the filler valve that shuts off the water in the tank. Could not turn off the water at the toilet because the shut off valve would not close off -instead shut off water to the whole house. After I fixed the toilet and turned the water back on I found that I had only a trickle comming out of the kitchen sink. Flow to all the other fixtures in the house are normal and all seem to flow well when all are turned on at the same time, except for the kithcen. Kitchen is an older part of the house and has the non copper plumbing. What might be causing the problem?

Old 07-20-05, 06:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
alger, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Best guess would be that some of the "junk" in the galvanized pipe broke loose when you turned off the water supply. I would advise disconnecting the supply line that feeds the sink. Hopefully you can turn off the valve under the sink. Then hold a rag over the valve opening and turn the valve off and on two or three times. This may clear any debris in the line(s). Before you do this, you may want to remove the aerator from the end of the sink faucet. It may be clogged. You can hold it upside down under running water to back-flush it or buy a new one,Good luck.

Old 07-21-05, 08:23 AM
alger
Visiting Guest
thanks. It was the aerator full of rust.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: