Standing shower faucet. A big mess. Please help

Old 07-25-05, 12:53 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Standing shower faucet. A big mess. Please help

My shower was leaking, so I removed the handle and the screw inside was not coming out as the grooves were all gone. I had to break the handle in order to access the screw, so I can remove the screw, but during that process, the screw broke down and half of the screw left in the cartridge. I tried to pull the cartridge out, but it has been stuck really bad. I use several tools, but the cartridge did not come out. In this process, I also screwed up the cartridge. I called the plumber and he said that he's gonna have to repiping the shower as he needs to open few tiles to cut the pipe and put the new pipe and new cartridge. He is asking for $400, and i think it's too much. Somebody mentioned that if i make the pipe hot with the fire torch, it will melt down the plastic on the cartridge and it will come out easily. I have copper pipes, dry walls and ceramic tiles around. do u guys think I should use fire torch or call the plumber? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old 08-12-05, 08:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Could of swore I answered this post....must of viewed it and got sidetracked.

Sounds like you are dealing with a Moen faucet.........I would replace the faucet with a Delta to get away from dealing with those cartridges. If it isn't a pressure balanced valve I would make sure that one goes in in its place.

A expert plumber will know how to remove that cartridge without opening the wall and replacing the entire valve and getting you back in working order for a fraction of the cost you mentioned by the plumber.

I would have expert hands on rebuilding the faucet; not replacing it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: