Washing Machine drain backing up and overflowing out of standpipe

Old 08-01-05, 05:24 PM
bonesdad
Visiting Guest
Washing Machine drain backing up and overflowing out of standpipe

This is in a basement...it used to happen only when the sink upstairs was draining at the same time (they share the drain in the basement floor). But now it happens periodically when only the washer drains. I'm guessing one of these problems:

1. Vent pipe is blocked and not allowing proper air flow for good drainage.

2. Drain is gunked up at the point where washer enters main drain

3. Stand Pipe is gunked up, not allowing water through to main drain fast enough.

I don't think it is the main drain from the house, as the basement shower does not back up at all (different floor drain in basement).

Can anyone offer any ideas? I think #3 or #2 is most likely. Help!

Old 08-01-05, 06:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
bonesdad, welcome to the DIY Forums.
I would have to believe it is gunked up either in the standpipe or where it joins the drain. Washers put a lot of lint into the drain. This can biuld up over time. You can either snake the line or you may want to try an enzyme drain cleaner such as Draincare. Enzyme cleaners cling to the clog and "eat" it. caustic cleaners eat a hole and then procede down the pipes. Draincare is about $8 at Home Centers, Walmart, hardware stores and even some supermarkets. A jug has many applications. It takes overnight but does work. Good luck.

Old 08-08-05, 07:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I on the other hand will bet that it is the kitchen sink line... The washing machine line is virtually clean water compared to what goes into a sink... In fact, a sink line has more restrictions for venting than does a washer for that reason... You kitchen sink line is stopped up and you need to get in there with a snake, open up that cleanout and run the snake as far down as you can or until you get to the main line... As you said, if the main was clogged, other fixtures would be backing up too... Also, you know it is not just the washer standpipe, or what you said at the beginning would not make sense... You said that it used to only happen when BOTH were running, and now it only takes the washer... Soon, it will only require the sink and then you will be in a real mess...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: