Help: Installing Icemaker Line...Going Insane

Old 08-03-05, 08:05 AM
SABmore
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help: Installing Icemaker Line...Going Insane

I've tried unsuccessfully numerous times to install the water line from my cold water supply to the back of my refrigerator. The problem lies in securing the plastic ice maker line into the saddle valve. I've tried the following two approaches:

1) Using the saddle valve, I followed the ice maker kit directions to a T. The tube has been inserted into the valve, with the pressure rod (little metal piece) being inserted into the plastic tubing. I even went as far as to attempt to secure the plastic tubing with some teflon tape on the outside. When I open the saddle valve there seems to be not much water/water pressure in the plastic tubing. But as I open the saddle valve more, the pressure builds up and the plastic tubing pops off of the valve.

2) I then find out that Frigidaire (manuf of frig) doesn't recommend the saddle valve, but I can't find any other obvious solutions (recommendations?) So, I purchase a "T" valve, with a 3/8" compression fitting for the supply line and 1/4" fitting for use with the plastic icemaker line. Of course this didn't work as the 1/4" obviously provided even greater pressure.

Should I be less concerned with the pressure (and stick with the saddle valve)? Is this something that the refrigerator helps to build up in order to get a constant water flow? I don't have access to the plastic icemaker line as it runs under the subfloor thru a sealed crawlspace. Are there other options out there that won't easily come apart and/or leak?

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Old 08-03-05, 07:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You should read the thread about valves for refrigerators and water lines that is close to this thread.

The reason saddle valves are not recommended by any manufacturer of appliances is because they are not code approved and they are guaranteed to leak given enough time.

You should install a regular tee fitting on your cold water line somewhere very convient. Then a stub and a valve. Go from this valve to the refrigerator with 1/4" soft copper as choice #1 and plastic as a distant #2.

Good luck with your project....

Old 08-08-05, 06:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

Last edited by Ragnar; 08-13-05 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-12-05, 11:15 AM
C
If you know how to solder I would do that rather than a saddle valve. I've replaced several leaky saddle valves and I'm not a plumber. I would also only use a copper line to supply the frig. I've had plastic lines crack in the last two houses I've lived in and its only a matter of time before they will leak. To make plastic flexible they add a small molecule plastisizer, over time this slowly diffuses away and the plastic becomes brittle and cracks.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: