air in pipes?

Old 08-04-05, 05:24 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
air in pipes?

sometimes, when i turn my kitchen sink on, it soun ds as if a SLIGHT hiss preceeds the water by a split second. The only time I have experienced anything like this was when the sink sprayer had a leak...you could hear the air and see it leaking under sink . However, this time I do not see any signs of leak under sink and no blatantly obvious leaking anywhere in basement/crawlspaces. Am I being paranoid or could there be an inaccessible leak somewhere?

Old 08-04-05, 06:35 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Air in pipes can be a real pain to find the source of. I have seen outside faucets that never drip but when another fixture inside the house is turned on, it sucks air into the water line through a weak washer. Check the places that aren't so obvious such as wash machine hoses. Good luck.

Old 08-04-05, 07:18 AM
K
so this is not necessarily something to get flipped out about that water is leaking behind a wall somewhere or something?

Old 08-04-05, 07:50 AM
It is something that should be looked for. I cannot tell you that you do not have a leak. Only that it could have other causes allowing air into the water system.

Old 08-04-05, 09:16 AM
K
ok, sorry...what i was getting at also is that a little air in the pipes is not "bad" in and of itself, correct? Hmmm..wondering about possible culprits...i do shut off the water supply to my washing machine when not in use....and the adajacent bathroom's shower/tub temptrol valve need to always remain on "shower" until i can replace the spindle.

Old 08-04-05, 11:57 AM
A little air in the lines is not "bad", just irritating. While there is no leaking showing now, I would watch for leaks in the future. Just a thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: