is there any way to increase flow in 1/2" pipe?

Old 08-04-05, 04:34 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
is there any way to increase flow in 1/2" pipe?

I'm guessing the water pipes coming into the house have gotten corroded over 50+ years, and my pressure is weak. Are there any methods available to increase the flow - cleaning the pipes, etc.?

Old 08-04-05, 04:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It is possible to clean the pipes but replacement is a better option. You probably have galvanized and that is not the best to deal with. Galvanized will always flake off and cause you problems. Being an "old time" plumber I recommend copper. It is proven to be a great performer. The new products are easier to install (if you get the tools) but I personally like the looks of a copper job. Good luck.

Old 08-06-05, 07:23 AM
F
not so easy to replace existing pipes

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, my pipes (along with my ventilation ducts) are buried under the slab in my rancher (no basement). I'm guessing it would be a pretty major operation to replace the pipes, no? The pipe coming up through the floor appears to be copper, but I'm really not sure if the pipe to the street is. Would it be possible to run new pipes along the side of the house under the lawn, and then bring them into the house from the side wall?

Another silly question: If the water main valve has been buried for years under the lawn and no one knows where it is, how does one go about finding it? The water company must have a means to do this, right? (fingers crossed)

Thanks again for your input!

Old 08-06-05, 08:16 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The water department has the original drawings that were made when the curb box was put in. They also have metal detectors that will locate the original curb box.

If the drawings are wrong or the curb box has been changed to plastic or can not be detected you cn still find it. Take a metal rod with a point on the end. Start driving it into the ground where you think it should be. You will hear/feel it when you hit it(this will also happen if you hit a rock burried in the ground). I would find out what your local code states for the depth of the burried curb box.

This could be deeper than you would expect due to homeowners raising their ground level due to bad soil.Homeowners bring in top soil to make planting a nice lawn easier.

Is your meter at the street or is it just outside your house? The line should run in a straight line to the water main at the street. Mine runs in a straight line but at an angle to my house.

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-06-05, 02:42 PM
F
Thanks, Majakdragon. I tried finding it myself a few months back, to no avail. Guess I'll see if the water department can track it down. It's out by the street, but I can't spot it. I appreciate the help.

Old 08-08-05, 02:30 PM
J
How good is the yard pressure? Usually there's a regulator to decrease the pressure where the supply line comes into the house itself. If the pressure outside is good then your regulator could be set too low.

Old 08-10-05, 08:16 PM
F
The pressure's pretty lousy outside, too. The valve inside the house is open all the way. It's just plain crappy water pressure, all around. Thanks a bunch for your thoughts and suggestions, just the same!

Old 09-17-06, 02:28 PM
F
a follow-up question

majakdragon mentioned that it's possible to clean the pipes; what is the recommended procedure? I've seen some drain cleaner companies advertising a high pressure water cleaning for drain pipes and was wondering if it's along those lines, or something mechanical. Also, any ballpark on what it might cost for that type of service? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: