Turning off Hot Water

Old 08-06-05, 07:34 AM
bmc
Visiting Guest
Turning off Hot Water

Hey everyone, was wondering if you could help.

While trying to turn off the water to the kitchen sink from the vavles below the sink, I'm able to turn off the cold water but no luck with the hot water side. The hot water valve screws in, but the water stays on. So I figured I'd turn off the hot water from the hot water heater and replace the sink vavle. I head down to the hot water heater, screw in the valve on the hot water pipe, and the water to the sink (and everywhere else) stays on Is it possible that I have 2 bad valves? Do these screw type valves fail in this manner generally? I'm used to them leaking once you open and close but not this.

[Begin Rant]
And what is the point of using these vavles if after a few years they don't work anyway? My hot water heater was installed 4 years ago, you'd think those would be good.
[/End Rant]

I guess I could try to turn off the cold side to the water heater, drain the heater, and go from there but I'm not sure if draining the heater is a good idea or what else would be involved. I'm not sure what my next step should be other than call a plumber. Any advice? TIA

Frustrated,
Brian

Old 08-06-05, 07:50 AM
bmc
Visiting Guest
As an update to my last post, the valve on the hot water heater is now leaking after I turned it off and back on

It's almost funny. Well I guess I'll be calling a plumber. Hopefully this won't be costing to much.

Old 08-06-05, 09:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is the valve leaking just below the handle? If so, with the valve in the open position, tighten the packing nut that is under the handle. Gate valves are normally what is used for shut-offs on water heaters. I use ball valves. If I use a gate valve, I put the handle off to the side (not straight up) as any sediment will build up in the seat for the gate and will not permit it to close. Believe you know that though. Good luck and let us know if you get it fixed.
P.S. You do not have to drain the water heater for shutting off the valves. Just turn off the power source (gas/electric) if it will be out of service very long.

Old 08-07-05, 12:32 PM
bmc
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply majakdragon! I was able to stop the leak from the hot water heater by tightening the nut as you said. Waiting until tomorrow to contact a plumber to help me going forward.

Brian

Old 08-08-05, 05:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another suggestion...

Even though your heater was installed 4 years ago, the valve that feeds it probably was not... The point in that valve is so the heater can be replaced without turning off the entire water system, so a plumber would turn the water off there to do the install... Also, for future reference, you can always turn the water off to the street to change out bad water valves on the heater and under the sink... There would be no reason to drain the heater... To drain the heater, you would have to turn the valve off at the street anyway, since the valve that turns off the cold into the heater was not working anyway...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: