Pipe makes ooooooooooo noise when running hose.

Old 08-06-05, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pipe makes ooooooooooo noise when running hose.

Great description I know.

I got the hell scared out of me when my wife was watering the garden just now. We have one of those multi-head hose attachments and she was using the mist setting. This caused the pipes attached to that hose bib to resonate. Using other settings didn't do it with the exception of when you first squeeze the handle they gave a quick chirp that I'm used to.

Obviously the pipes are vibrating due to the high pressure but small outlet at the hose end but I've never heard it so loud. I can't tell the exact location of where most of the noise is coming from because the whole feed is literally singing.

Should I be worried about that?

Thanks.

Old 08-06-05, 04:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would guess that the outside faucet has a washer that is wearing out. They wear and start to separate or shred. This gives them the effect of a reed instrument and they vibrate the piping. It would soon start leaking when you try to turn it off due the loss of seal. Check this out. Good luck.
We'll leave a light on for you.LOL

Old 08-06-05, 06:24 PM
The washer's going? But...That bib was literally just replaced. In...February or March. It also has one of those relief valves on it.

Old 08-06-05, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well....could be the hose attachment. Perhaps the lesser the amount of water that is used, causes back pressure on the hose and the attachment, causing it to vibrate. Try another attachment on the end of the hose and see if it does the same thing. Good luck.

Old 08-06-05, 07:57 PM
I'll monkey with it tomorrow. Thanks Maja.

Old 08-08-05, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also, put a new washer in the faucet that the hose it attached to... Very common cause of that type of noise....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: