Poly Butylene pipe

Old 08-07-05, 06:28 AM
klarson8
Visiting Guest
Poly Butylene pipe

I recently had a leak in poly pipe in a rental property. I wanted some feedback on whether I should replumb or just repair as necessary. The home is almost 16 years old (right at the end of the class action...) and the leak was between floors so i have some drywall repair also.

My question - I have 3 rental properties with poly, all about 16 years old and copper joints. I have never had a problem until now. Will the problems increase? Or should i guess that it is a one time problem as it has lasted this long? I am in South Carolina.

Old 08-07-05, 09:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is a reason the drop dead date was included in the lawsuit.

It's a gamble to stay with the poly. You are betting there will be no further leaks with the cost for repair/replacement at a pretty decent price. Times 3 in your case...

If I owned the homes outright and all the rent went into my pocket. Hard to say what I'd do in your case. If mortages in place and rent payment paid the payment, I'd have a different answer. Then I would repipe at my convience and schedule with someone else's money from the lawsuit.

Just my thoughts...

Old 08-07-05, 09:56 AM
klarson8
Visiting Guest
poly butylene pipe

Thanks Notuboo. That is what i am looking for. Anyone else have any comments? Hoping to get some more opinions!

Thanks

Old 08-08-05, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace, replace, replace...

If money is not the issue, then definitely replace the whole system at one time... The pinholes that develop are a sign of things to come... The fittings also wear out if they used the plastic ones... Every time one blows loose, you run the risk of flooding the whole place if no one is home... And you risk being sued by tenants since you know of the problem, if they lose any property... There is a good reason that the company lost that class action lawsuit... The stuff is just garbage... Interestingly, it turns out that the chlorine in municipal water is what eats it up... So it is doomed to fail...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: