Foghorn Sounds when running water

Old 08-08-05, 04:30 PM
foghornstopper
Visiting Guest
Foghorn Sounds when running water

When we run water anywhere in our 3-story home, it sounds like a foghorn going off. We have replaced the pressure regulator, sound got louder. Neighbor complained, so sound must be very loud. What else do you suggest we do?

Old 08-08-05, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wow, cool... a foghorn, huh?

Well, the first guess would have been a pressure regulator here also, but first things first... Have you checked the pressure on the front and back faucets of the house?.. Even with a new regulator, you need to know what your water pressure it... Second, it is important to note 1) where the sound is coming from, and 2) if it is certain fixtures that you run that cause the problem... A single fixture can make the whole plumbing system 'sing' if it has a washer that is wearing out... It creates a very small vibration that grows exponentially as it traverses the system and the noise can be very loud at the opposite end of the house... If that is the problem though, it should only happen when you run a certain fixture...

Old 08-08-05, 06:10 PM
foghornstopper
Visiting Guest
Foghorn Sound persists

Thanks for your reply! Home is located on a hillside. We are in the middle of the hill. Our water pressure, outside of the house, is at 160. Inside the home, pressure regulator has the pressure reduced to around 50. Good setting?

Flushing any toilet in the home will produce the foghorn sound. Running any faucet in our home will also produce this sound!

Sound is coming from the water softener in the attached garage. When water softener is shut off, sound stops. But I have been told that the softener is not the culprit. Supposedly, softener drum allows sound to be heard "better". Possible?

I can not figure out what to do next...

Old 08-08-05, 06:18 PM
Yes, 50lbs is good, if a little low... I prefer 65 lbs... The softener may not be the culprit, but it is possible that the softener is hooked up on the wrong side of the PRV... In other words, it should be on the side that is only getting 50 psi...

If it is on the right side of the PRV and is making the noise, then it is the culprit... When you turn it off, the noise stops... Enough said... Without it amplifying the sound, you would still hear the sound lightly and could feel significant vibration of the pipes... Who told you that the softener was NOT the culprit? The company that put it in for you? or that maintains it?

Old 08-08-05, 06:34 PM
foghornstopper
Visiting Guest
Water Softener is the culprit?

WOW!!! So, it may be the softener?

Water Softener is on the correct side of the pressure regulator. And, yes, the company that installed the softener is the one who sent me off to discover the culprit because they assured me that they were not at fault.

Will call the softener company to return. Thank you!

Old 08-08-05, 06:38 PM
Interesting... the softener is most certainly the problem... It could be something simple like a valve on the softener that is partially open or trash in one of the solenoids... There are a dozen different reasons why a softener could be the issue and if they come look at it, I am sure they will find the problem... If they insist that the softener is just magnifying a problem on your existing plumbing, ask them if they have a quieter version of the softener... ....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: