Modifying sewer access

Old 08-08-05, 04:43 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Modifying sewer access

Hi,

I'm building a small 16" high concrete block retaining wall in my front yard for a planter. There is a vertical 3" dia black PVC pipe with threaded access plug with about 50% of the pipe diameter inside the wall (or where the wall wants to be). Is this most likely a sewer access point for using a snake etc (no septic) ?

Since the wall is so short and I have a proper footing I have no problem cutting a section out of the block to allow access to the pipe (wall will be capped). However, there will be 12" of dirt inside the planter. I suspect there is some code that says this access point must not be covered by dirt. So I could put 2 45 deg adapters back to back (I'll try 22.5 deg) to shift it over and raise it to the new level of the planter. Any idea if this is legal or if a snake can easily get by this type of arrangement?

I could try to dig down and move the vertical over a few inches but it seems to be pretty deep. I suspect these are rarely used as it is only about 20' from this pipe to the street.

Thanks

Old 08-08-05, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Definitely the right way to go...

That pipe is probably ABS pipe... Similar specs to PVC but the color is different... In any case, it is CODE to add two 45's to the pipe to offset it into the planter and raise it up to the level of the dirt in the box... Also, a snake will have no trouble navigating the 45's... You probably have 50 or more in the system already... You are correct in assuming that it has to have access... Of course, if you could offset it OUTSIDE the box with one 45, you could leave it at an angle just outside the box, if I understand your situation, and this would allow easier usage of the cleanout later if someone were running a cable down it... That cleanout is probably the most important in your whole plumbing system down the road when the system is older, since it is the tap at the street where many problems begin...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: