Epoxy Putty. Does it work?

Old 08-10-05, 04:39 PM
seagar
Visiting Guest
Epoxy Putty. Does it work?

I have a VERY slow leak at a copper elbow where it joins the 1/2" copper pipe. It leaks approximately 1 drip per hour and has done so for the past 13 years of so. This leak hasn't gotten any worse or better with time.

The pipes are located in a crawl space in an area where I would rather not have to drag a torch into for proper repair unless absolutely necessary.

I plan on leaving this house open this winter and as such I have been insulating the pipes in the crawl space.

I would like to stop this drip if possible prior to wrapping the pipes with insulation.

I was looking at a product called PC Plumbing Epoxy Putty in my local Home Depot.

Has any one had any experiences with this product positive or negative? or do you feel I would be wasting my time?

Old 08-10-05, 05:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have never heard of it. Thing is, if you have to drain the water from the lines to use it, why not do a proper repair? Bernzomatic torch isn't that hard to "drag" into the space. If the epoxy doesn't work, then you'll have to clean it all off or cut the pipe and elbow to do a sweat job. Your choice. good luck.

Old 08-10-05, 05:16 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I tried it once recently. Stay away it did not work.

Old 08-10-05, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
seagar,

There is a possibility that if the joint has corroded it could let go.
I would suggest you not just heat it up to try to resolder but rather cut it out and splice in new copper and a fitting.

A propane torch would work well if there is no water in the line.
If you want to upgrade your tools, the Bernzomatic swirl combustion torch that uses Mapp gas works quite well.
I am able to silver solder up to 1/2" copper pipe size with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: