Tub Overflow Water Leak

Old 08-15-05, 10:21 AM
charlie rogers
Visiting Guest
Arrow Tub Overflow Water Leak

I have a unique problem in an apartment complex. Built in the 1960's the tubs are the original installation. Water levels at the overflow pipe - leak between the tub housing and the overflow pipe. Is there any compound that can be used to seal the circumference of the tub/overflow pipe from the exterior. I have used silicone sealant but this is only a temporary fix. Installation of a new gasket behind the tub overflow is not accessable without wall/tub modification. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also what is plumbers goop?

Charlie

Old 08-15-05, 10:29 AM
charlie rogers
Visiting Guest
Arrow Tub Overflow Water leak

I have a unique problem in an apartment complex. Built in the 1960's the tubs are the original installation. Water levels at the overflow pipe - leak between the tub housing and the overflow pipe. Is there any compound that can be used to seal the circumference of the tub/overflow pipe from the exterior. I have used silicone sealant but this is only a temporary fix. Installation of a new gasket behind the tub overflow is not accessable without wall/tub modification. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also what is plumbers goop?

Charlie

Old 08-15-05, 04:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You should be able to place a new gasket on the tub overflow without more access than the overflow hole. I'm not saying it's easy to do, it's just that it can be done.

The gasket is beveled and you have to place it in the proper position so it does not leak.

Good luck with your project...

Old 08-16-05, 12:25 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A compressed gasket is the only good long term solution. Note you can squeeze on a "gasket" from a tube, then compress it when dry. Anything that cures rubbery and is invulnerable to water will do - I like polyuerethane but good silicone would be fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: