Rotted metal flange for toilet

Old 08-16-05, 05:11 PM
DIY_Knevil
Visiting Guest
Rotted metal flange for toilet

Hi,

I am putting in new floors in the bathrooms of the house we recently purchased. The house was built in 1982. The plumbing is all black PVC and the toilet bolts to a metal flange that spins for positioning purposes but does not seem to come off of the 4" pipe. I did the master bath first and all looked good. Now am doing the main bath and I find one half of the metal flange is rotted. I went to the big home improvement store and the person gave a black-painted metal ring and told me to put it over the existing rotted ring and screw it down. This particular bathroom has an intermittent bad odor. I want to remove this ring. how do you remove the metal ring? Also, should this metal ring be screwed to the plywood because in this bathroom it is but the other it is not (and it doesn't leak or smell either)

Thanks

Old 08-16-05, 06:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
DIY_Knevil, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Not sure how a metal ring would be attched to PVC pipe and allow turning. What the store gave you is called a Super Flange. It should have a sealer of some sort to seal the two flanges. All toilets flanges should be secured to the floor to prevent strain on the pipe when tightening down the toilet.
You may be able to use a grinder to cut the old flange off. If it is rotted, that is probably where the smell was coming from due to the wax seal not catching the rotted part of the flange. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: