Bathroom smells like sewer gas

Old 08-16-05, 07:26 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom smells like sewer gas

Just moved into a new house. It is 16 years old. Two of the bathroom have a sewer gas smell. My first though was the traps had dried out but we use both of them regularly. The one bathroom, consists of a toilet and shower only so the sink isn't the problem.

Could a bad toilet seal cause this problem? Water is not leaking anywhere that I can see.

Any other normal culprits??

Thanks for the assistance!
Scott

Old 08-17-05, 07:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would check the ventline. If the house was empty for any length of time, birds could have built a nest or spiderwebs and leaves. You will have to go onto the roof to do this. DO NOT go up if you do not feel comfortable. Look into the vent for blockages and clear all you can by hand. Then flush with a garden hose. If a vent is clogged, it will siphon the water out of other fixture traps when the toilets are flushed. Drains need air to operate properly. Vents supply that air. Good luck.

Old 08-28-05, 07:37 PM
Jazz4cash
Visiting Guest
We have this problem also in a home which is 5 years old. We moved in when house was new and lately have an odor coming from master bath shower drain. The odor is noticeable after shower has run for 2 minutes or so.I checked all traps and they seem to be okay. I never thought about the vent so I may try cutting it in the attic for inspection. Someone also suggested that maybe the odor is mold from under the tile floor of the shower so I am thinking of soaking the entire shower floor with bleach and checking area under the shower by cutting into drywall in ceiling of garage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: