Water Pipe Thru Concrete Wall

Old 08-18-05, 05:40 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Pipe Thru Concrete Wall

Im not sure this is the best forum for my problem but I figured plumbers run into this situation more than most other trades. I want to pipe cold water from my house system to an outbuilding via flexible PE pipe and I want to start off by going through my 10 concrete foundation wall rather than the rim joist. What kind of drill and bit would be required to drill a hole at least 1 in diameter? Would an impact drill crack the foundation? Would the concrete deteriorate the PE pipe over time? If so, what pipe material would be satisfactory? How can I seal around the hole so as to retain my dry basement? Any thoughts on these questions or directions to a more appropriate forum would be appreciated.

Old 08-18-05, 05:48 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since the size and the length are cost prohibitive for buying, I would rent a hammer drill and a 1" masonary bit. The type pipe is not an issue since any pipe that is in contact with the concrete would be worn from movement. What you need to do is oversize the hole and use sprayfoam to insulate and prevent leaks. You can also use a silicone caulk on both sides of the hole for a better seal. Good luck on your project.

Old 08-18-05, 06:02 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks majakdragon for your quick response. The hole in the concrete will be several feet below ground level. Does that change what I should use for sealing around the pipe?

Old 08-18-05, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Nope. I would use the spray foam and when it is set, use a utility knife to make an indentation in the sprayfoam and fill with silicone. Should make a waterproof seal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: