P.V.C. Cement

Old 08-22-05, 06:30 AM
Michael Swan
Visiting Guest
P.V.C. Cement

I need to know how to determine if a particular brand of p.v.c cement is appropiate for hot/cold water applications.

What should I look for?

Old 08-22-05, 06:59 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PVC is to be used only for cold water applications. You need to use CPVC for hot water. PVC glue is clear, CPVC glue is orange.

Old 08-22-05, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Look at the label. I use a combination glue that is for PVC, CPVC and ABS. Trinitro is correct on the hot water line being CPVC. Some areas do not allow PVC inside the house. This is a code issue. Good luck.

Old 08-23-05, 06:22 AM
Michael Swan
Visiting Guest
P.V.C cement

Thanks for your help and response.

Old 08-23-05, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by trinitro
PVC is to be used only for cold water applications. You need to use CPVC for hot water. PVC glue is clear, CPVC glue is orange.
Did I miss something, orange should be for Blase Master.

Old 08-23-05, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Look at the label. I use a combination glue that is for PVC, CPVC and ABS. Trinitro is correct on the hot water line being CPVC. Some areas do not allow PVC inside the house. This is a code issue. Good luck.
Where I live, [ N.E.] combination glues were banned many a year ago. [This is just information]. Lots of luck.

Old 08-29-05, 08:58 PM
Michael Swan
Visiting Guest
P.V.C Cement

Originally Posted by shacko
Where I live, [ N.E.] combination glues were banned many a year ago. [This is just information]. Lots of luck.
So,what do you use then?What specs. determine it's suitability for hot/cold water applcations

Old 08-30-05, 05:37 AM
The pipe determines the specifications. You then use the proper primer and "glue" for the pipe.

PVC is only allowed for cold water applications where it is code accepted. CPVC is used for hot and cold water lines where it is allowed by codes. The solvents used to fuse to pipe together are totally different and made in different colors for inspectors to confirm the proper "glue" was used with the right pipe.

Multiple usage glue, which has a little bit of everything for all plastic pipe, is made. This is not a code approved product in some areas, depending on the wording of the code used.

Hope this helps...

Old 08-30-05, 07:35 AM
The only place an inspector MIGHT allow the multipurpose cement is if you have to join an ABS fitting to PVC in the DWV system. It would never be allowed in a pressure system.

Choose the proper pipe for the application, then use the code-approved cement and primer for that pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: