garbage disposal drain stub too high?

Old 08-22-05, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garbage disposal drain stub too high?

hello,
when i held my disposal up to the sink, i noticed that the drain stub coming out of the back wall is higher than the drain on the garbage disposal by about 1 inch. If i installed it like this with a trap then it seems like the garbage disposal would always have 1 inch of water sitting in it.

what should i do?
thanks for any advice.
max

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-05, 07:22 PM
Wow, not a good thing. No way to cure the problem without changing the drain inlet. Problem is, you would not be happy with the problems it would bring. The water sitting in the disporer would stink after a while. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good luck.
Note. Don't know if you are the original owner of the home. Only way I can come up with that does not involve changing the drainline, is to install a less deep sink.

Old 08-24-05, 09:54 PM
wraytheplumber
Visiting Guest
something to check on

See if you can turn the trap around backwards. This is actually a fairly common practice that won't hurt anything it justs adds a little extra depth to your trap. Being a disposal it will have enough force to push anything through that might want to settle in the trap.

Old 08-28-05, 06:55 AM
Disposal drain too high

No good news for your problem. I agree with majakdragon, you don't want water sitting in the disposal. Reversing the trap is not an option. Sorry, but the drain has to be lowered.

Old 08-29-05, 10:11 AM
I had a similar situation once. Mistakenly, I went ahead with the disposal installation. I never really had an odor problem from water sitting in the unit. Instead, unless I fed scraps or whatever into it very slowly, the disposal would clog. I guess they're not designed to pump much uphill.

Old 09-03-05, 10:39 PM
noisaw
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by maxslomoff
hello,
when i held my disposal up to the sink, i noticed that the drain stub coming out of the back wall is higher than the drain on the garbage disposal by about 1 inch. If i installed it like this with a trap then it seems like the garbage disposal would always have 1 inch of water sitting in it.

what should i do?
thanks for any advice.
max
You may be able to trim some of the drain pipe coming off you disposal. It is usualy abs which can be cut with a hack saw.