water pipes banging

Old 08-22-05, 06:07 PM
mac169
Visiting Guest
water pipes banging

A plumber put in a new electric water heater and after he did, my pipes started banging when I turned on the water faucets, flush toilets, use dishwasher and washing machine. Periodically, the pipes bang when there is no water being used or run. The plumber keeps putting me off. What could be the problem? And... how to I check water pressure. I hear it should be at a certain point, but I don't know where to look or how to check it.

Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-05, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
They make a water pressure gauge that connects to your outside hose faucet. Check the pressure with no water on at all in the house.

What it sounds like is that there is a valve that the plumber shut off that is causing this problem due to a loose washer, or even dirt/debri in a valve somewhere in the home.

Troublesome it may be to find and locate the problem, but he may or may not have braced off the new water lines leading to the water heater that is causing this problem.

Old 08-27-05, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mac169
A plumber put in a new electric water heater and after he did, my pipes started banging when I turned on the water faucets, flush toilets, use dishwasher and washing machine. Periodically, the pipes bang when there is no water being used or run. The plumber keeps putting me off. What could be the problem? And... how to I check water pressure. I hear it should be at a certain point, but I don't know where to look or how to check it.

Thanks so much.
Dunbar Plumber is right about a loose washer, they are S.O.B.'S causing pipes to bang. I don't think that your pressure changed with the water heater install. Dunbar is also right about the pipe not being supported correctly after the new install. The one that I have to muse on is banging without nothing being used. The only thing that I can come up with at this time is does your toilet leak? Some of the ball-cocks in toilets are quick opening and closing valves. I would lean this way, first loose washer, second unsupported pipe. The ghost I would lean toward the toilet. I hope that I helped. Lots of luck.

Old 08-27-05, 11:37 AM
mac169
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys, toilet doesn't leak. If it is a washer, would every thing I turn on that involves water, make the pipes bang? And if it is a washer, how do I find it? Or should I just keep bugging him to come back? Thanks again you guys are great.

Old 09-03-05, 09:46 PM
noisaw
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mac169

Thanks so much.
First change your plumber if he doesn't return calls. It is probably not the water heater. Check your toilet ball **** and flapper. If your flapper leaks through your ball **** will kick on for a few seconds. If you have loose parts in your ball **** it can cause quit a racket.