Gas Stove Installation (Gas Piping Question)

Old 08-23-05, 03:45 PM
smattson
Visiting Guest
Question Gas Stove Installation

OK - I admit I know little about gas lines. This is a trust issue. I recently bought a gas stove and need to run a gas line. My friend, Paul, says he knows how. Paul is capable and good at just about everything he does. He has says he has assisted another person who put a line in, although he has not done it himself, nor is he a licensed contractor.

My mother says only a contractor should do it because if there is a problem with the installation, perhaps insurance will not pay. She doesnít have the trust I do in my friendís ability, but of course she knows nothing about it.

Main questions:

Is there any gas codes that would restrict us from doing it ourselves?
Do we have to have our work check by the gas company?
Do we need a permit?
Is this rocket science, only to be handled by an expert?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-05, 08:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello smattson and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Your question would be best answered by licensed pipe plumbing contractors than appliance repair service techs. Therefore, I will move your question into the plumbing and piping forum topic.

What I can tell you is codes vary. Check the codes in your area before doing any piping work. The type of gas, propane and/or natural gas, is a factor also. As well as what type of gas is exisiting in the home presently.

Another factor is the distance between the supply and the final location. Codes vary widely. The distance lenght of pipe and type of piping material are all likely governed by some codes. Not possible to determine the exact codes without knowing the area of the country and many other factors.

If you are not sure of any aspect of the project, hire a pro or consult with one. If the work is not done by a licensed professional, definately have the final job inspected, at least by the gas supplier. Only my opinion.

Old 08-23-05, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To answer your questions:

Depending on local code with determine if "you as a homeowner" can install a gas line. Yes, your work will inspected by the gas company and then, most likely, by a city inspector who will also want to see the permit. Even experts make mistakes, it is not rocket science but there is a tremendous liabilty issue not to mention the boom aspect.

Now for just a little more info. You should check your home owner's policy or ask your agent about gas work in particular and coverage. Ask your friend or friend of a friend about "sizing" the gas line. Have him show you how to calculate the loading and run...if he just stares at you...well, you know the answer about who should install the gas line.

hey, good luck with your project.

Old 08-28-05, 06:58 AM
Stove Gas Line

I agree with notuboo,unless someone has a lot of knowledge pertaining to gas I would not go with the DIY route. Codes and regs. are local. Bite the bullet, get someone that does this for a living. Luck

Old 08-28-05, 09:26 AM
question # 1: YES
question # 2: YES
question # 3: YES
question # 4: YES

Listen to your mother!

Old 09-01-05, 10:53 AM
msgaia
Visiting Guest
how do I post a problem?

I have a problem with a low flame pilot light how can i get help..new to this site

Old 09-01-05, 01:23 PM
Low flame pilot light

msgaia, you have already done it. Give more information about your problem.

Old 09-03-05, 09:26 PM
noisaw
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by smattson
OK - I admit I know little about gas lines. This is a trust issue. I recently bought a gas stove and need to run a gas line. My friend, Paul, says he knows how. Paul is capable and good at just about everything he does. He has says he has assisted another person who put a line in, although he has not done it himself, nor is he a licensed contractor.

My mother says only a contractor should do it because if there is a problem with the installation, perhaps insurance will not pay. She doesnít have the trust I do in my friendís ability, but of course she knows nothing about it.

Main questions:

Is there any gas codes that would restrict us from doing it ourselves?
Do we have to have our work check by the gas company?
Do we need a permit?
Is this rocket science, only to be handled by an expert?

Thanks
I would hire a plumber so things don't go boom. There are many things that can be done incorectly that may haunt you later.