when the washer drains, soapy water fills the sinks and tub

Old 08-26-05, 12:37 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
when the washer drains, soapy water fills the sinks and tub

Hello, I need guidance asap! I just bought a home, I call it the money pit. I've noticed that when i am washing clothes, soapy water comes up in my bathroom sink, the tub, and the kitchen sink. I also have the same thing happen when I drain the bathtub after taking a bath.

I've been told two different things, and don't know what to do. I have been told that: the plumbing isn't vented right, and that something is "blocking" the drainage pipes.

This house has cost me more money than I have, and am hoping that there is a simple solution.
please help, SOS

Old 08-26-05, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
ymajo, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
If it is a venting problem, when you drain the tub or the washer drains, it would most likely cause the water in the toilet bowl to move. This is because the pipes need air to drain properly. If the vent is blocked the pipes get air at the next available source which is another fixture. I would say you have a blockage in the drainage system. I would recommend trying an Enzyme drain cleaner such as Draincare. This is a chance for an inexpensive cure before getting a drain machine or a plumber. Enzyme cleaners cling to the clog and "eat" them rather than popping a small hole and running down the pipes as caustic cleaners do. Draincare is available at Home Centers, Walmart and hardware stores. About $6 - $8 for a multi-use jug. It takes overnight but does work. Follow label directions.
If the house was empty for any amount of time before you moved in, anything laying in the drainlines probably solidified. Especially lint in the trap for the washer. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 08-26-05, 01:09 PM
Y
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
in response to your post, yes in fact the house had sat empty for over a year prior to my purchasing it. it has a septic system that is less than 5 years old. how toxic is the method you suggested?

Old 08-26-05, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not toxic at ALL. Safe for septic systems also. It is a bacteria (as in the septic tank) that makes it work.

Old 09-03-05, 09:47 PM
noisaw
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by ymajo
Hello, I need guidance asap! I just bought a home, I call it the money pit. I've noticed that when i am washing clothes, soapy water comes up in my bathroom sink, the tub, and the kitchen sink. I also have the same thing happen when I drain the bathtub after taking a bath.

I've been told two different things, and don't know what to do. I have been told that: the plumbing isn't vented right, and that something is "blocking" the drainage pipes.

This house has cost me more money than I have, and am hoping that there is a simple solution.
please help, SOS
Have your drains cleared with a snake. Usualy it's not the vent. If you hear it gurgle it may be venting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: